August 4: First Friday
August 21: Solar Eclipse
Sept 1: Growing Tree Closed for cleaning
Monday, August 21st: Solar Eclipse - TBD
Friday, September 1st: Annual cleaning day
Monday, September 4th: Labor Day
Best Wishes Class of 2017This time of year is so bittersweet as we say goodbye to families that have been with us for many years. We are so proud to have been apart of your lives! Please know that you will always be a part of the Growing Tree community and we wish your family all the best!
After much discussion the Board of Directors has approved a 4% tuition increase for the 2017/2018 school year. New tuition rates are effective September 1, 2017. It is important for you to know that the quality of care that your child receives at Growing Tree was the most important factor in our decision. Tuition increases are budgeted for the professional development and retention of Growing Tree staff as well as to maintain Center costs and capital improvements. We value your commitment to Growing Tree and understand that you value quality childcare as well. It is, and always will be, our goal to provide an environment that meets the needs of family and staff.
Attached you will find the September 2017/2018 tuition rates.
Thank you for supporting Growing Tree and our commitment to children.
Several new staff will be joining Growing Tree in August and September. Please welcome:
Teresa Gunn: Education Coordinator/Assistant Director: Start Date August 16
Heather Beane: Head Teacher Branch Room: Start Date August 14
McKenzie Kihs: Teacher Branch Room: Start Date Sept 1
Hannah McCabe: Teacher Seed/Big Seed Room: Start Date Sept 1
I am excited to bring these four very qualified teachers to our Growing Tree team. thank you for your patience over the past 6 weeks.
New ClassroomsChildren will be moving to their new classroom on Tuesday September 5th. What can you expect before then?
Week of August 7th:
- Teachers will be calling you to introduce themselves
- Pick up child information packets in your child's file folder. Please return completed forms to front desk by August 31st
- Seeds and Sprouts will spend time each day in their new classroom along with the current teacher
- Bud Branch and Blossoms will visit new classrooms, teachers will visit their new children in their classroom
New Car Seat Law
Common mistakes that parents and guardians sometimes make when attempting in good faith to safely buckle up their child:
- car seats are not secured well enough to the car, allowing them to move back and forth too much
- the breastplate of the restrains should be at armpit level, not belly level,
- parents should only be able to fit one finger between their child’s shoulder and the shoulder strap.
- car seats expire after six to 10 years of use (check manufacturer’s tag for expiration information), and that they should be thrown away if they are ever involved in a crash or a recall
- not using the anchor system
- even if it seems everything is installed correctly, it is always a good idea to seek a second opinion from a certified car seat technician at a fire station or hospital that offers the service.
Solar EclipseA solar eclipse occurs when the moon blocks any part of the sun. On Monday, August 21st , a solar eclipse will be visible (weather permitting) across North America. The whole continent will experience a partial eclipse lasting 2 to 3 hours. Halfway through the event, anyone within the path of totality, a roughly 70 mile-wide path from Oregon to South Carolina will experience a brief total eclipse, when the moon completely blocks the sun's bright face for up to 2 minutes 40 seconds, turning day into night and making visible the otherwise hidden solar cornea - the sun's outer atmosphere - one of nature's most awesome sights. Bright stars and planets will become visible as well.
Looking directly at the sun is unsafe except during the brief total phase of a solar eclipse (totality), when the moon entirely blocks the sun's bright face, which will happen only within the narrow path of totality.
The only safe way to look directly at the uneclipsed or partially eclipsed sun is through special-purpose solar filters, such as eclipse glasses. To date four manufacturers have certified that their eclipse glasses meet the ISO 12312-2international standard: Rainbow Symphony, American Paper Optics, Thousand Oaks Optics, and TSE17.
Mixed Bag Fundraiser
Do you need volunteer hours? Why not sell Mixed Bags to your friends and family. You will receive 1 hour towards volunteer commitment for every $25 dollars sold. Catalogs will be available the week of August 14th. Are you looking for a great bag to bring blankets, stuffies snowsuits etc back and forth to school? Check out the Grocery bags on page 27 of the catalog. These bags not only hold a lot, they fit nicely in cubbies and they fold up to the size of a wallet when not in use!
Family ResourcesWhat is the Family Resource Center?
- FRC is a nonprofit agency that teaches parenting skills to parents and caregivers of children of all ages in Deschutes, Crook and Jefferson Counties.
- Their vision is for bright and healthy futures for our children through parenting education.
- Visit the FRC website for program calendar and newsletter
- Available at the front desk is "The Parenting Resource Guide" made available through the Family Resource Center of Central Oregon
- Healthy Beginnings provides access to health and education and behavioral services for young children and their families
- Healthy Beginnings provides FREE health and developmental screenings for any child birth through five years of age
- Visit the Healthy Beginnings website for more information or call 541-383-6357
- Screenings available: Warm Springs 8/11; Bend 8/26; Redmond 9/8; Prineville 9/29
Call 211 gives you guidance and information about:
- Child Care openings
- Behavioral Strategies
- School readiness and tips
- Early Childhood Education
- Family stress and anxiety
- Parenting classes and support
- Local play groups
- Foster care support
- Basic family resources
Volunteer hours are not prorated in the event you withdraw from the Center prior to December 31st.
Do you need volunteer hours? If you are interested in this job please let me know. Here are a couple of ideas:
- Clean out rain gutters
When you are ordering online, please remember our AmazonSmile program!
Head to smile.amazon.com to get started.
The Board of Directors will meet again on September 13th. Enjoy your summer.
Message from Board of Directors
First Friday will be held on Friday, August 4th Cost is $20 per child. In September First Friday will be on September 8th due to Labor Day weekend . Please pay prior to Friday night, so that we may pay the teachers in a timely manner. Just a reminder, if you cancel after signing up, you will still be responsible for First Friday fees.
None this month!
"Let them sleep for when they awake they will move mountains"